Thursday, August 02, 2007

I'm So Confused

I will be teaching the Christianity and Postmodernism class at Kingsley this Semester and although I already had a fairly good grasp on things postmodern my preparation for the more philosophical aspects of postmodernity have been straining my brain just a little. Here's an example from Stanley Grenz trying to explain Jacques Derrida's understanding of meaning in language.
"A Language is a chain of signifiers referring to other signifiers, in which each signifier in turn becomes what is signified by another signifier."
Hmmmm. I know that understanding the philosophical underpinnings of postmodernism is important but I'm really looking forward to the discussions on the effects of postmodern thought on popular culture and the necessary response from the church.

5 comments:

Chris said...

honestly? I wouldn't worry about it too much; most of postmodernism didn't arise from philosophers, I think it mostly came as a natural progression from modernity. It's a reaction, that's all. Take what modernism is and then reverse it and you get postmodernism. Simple, elegant, straightforward. Derrida, Focoult (sp?), Rorty, and all them really only capitalized on it early, so it SEEMS like they're authors of the movement, but really they're just early adopters who wanted to get paid.

But if you MUST, I imagine Grenz's "A Primer on Postmodernism" is about as helpful as it gets. But that's probably where you got that quote.

dobbo said...

I think you're right Chris. It's helpful to know the minds of these early postmodernists but largely what impacts the everyday person is how people's view of the world is changing and what effect that is having on the general culture.
Middleton and Walsh say it is about how you answer these four questions: Where are we:? Who are we? What's Wrong" and What's the Remedy?

Yes, Primer on Postmodernism by Grenz is very helpful. I am using James Smith recent book called Who's Afraid of Postmodernism as the text. Another hlepful book is "How Postmodernism Serves My Faith " by Crystal L. Dowling.

Ross said...

This brings to mind Festus's words to the apostle Paul:

"Your great learning is driving you mad." (Acts 26:24)

Anonymous said...

I am currently reading the text for the upcoming subject and I just want to say....

'I'm not bovered'

dobbo said...

ok I'll take the shame though - is it!
How very dare you!!