Sunday, September 09, 2007

Sweet Harmony

My latest gadget is the Logitech Harmony 525 programmable remote control. Our coffee table was cluttered with 5 remote controls and it was quite a complicated matter to switch from watching TV to watching a DVD. Changing input on the TV, changing input on the HiFi turning off the set top box, turning on the DVD then switching remotes to control the DVD once it was playing.
Everything can now be controlled through one remote. The Harmony uses a web based programming system based on knowledge of thousands of different device remote controls. You just need to know the model numbers of your TV, DVD etc and it finds the information and programs the remote accordingly. You can then set up activities such as play a DVD. You program the harmony to turn on the DVD player, turn on and switch the HiFi to the DVD5.1input, turn on the TV and switch to the HDMI input - you can even program it to to open the DVD tray ready for you to put in the DVD. I had a bit of trouble getting it to switch to the correct input on my Toshiba LCD because you have to scroll through the inputs but it works like a charm now. Very easy for the wife and kids to get Dad's toys working in harmony. Oh - I got it on sale at Dick Smith Powerhouse for $99.95 - a steal. I like my gadgets but usually wait until they've been out for a year or so and drop to half of their original RRP.

3 comments:

Ross said...

I wonder if the male gender ever truly grows out of playing with toys, or if we just move onto more elaborate and expensive ones as we grow older?

Anonymous said...

I have to comment.... Pete went away on business for a few days and left the kids and myself alone with the "new and improved remote". After struggling thru for a few attempts at turning on the TV etc. I was ready to throw it across the room. Instead, I kept my cool, hid the remote, and retreived the original 5 remotes!!
Love you, Pete - Annette

dobbo said...

I'm back home now and everything is working fine. The problem was that the centre speaker was blocking the path to the TV's infrared. I repositioned that speaker and everything is sweet again